Support our Sponsors

ImmigrationProf Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2007

A climate of fear....

A report in Businessweek on the impact of the immigration raids on farms around the country...


A climate of fear is spreading among undocumented immigrant workers, causing turmoil in industries dependent on their labor. In August the Homeland Security Dept. announced that employers would be required to terminate workers who fail to produce valid Social Security numbers. Implementation of the new rule is delayed pending the outcome of a lawsuit brought against the government by the umbrella labor union group, the AFL-CIO.

But while the new rule has yet to take effect, its impact is already being felt by farmers like Torrey. An estimated three-quarters of agricultural workers in the U.S. are undocumented, and growers are starting to feel the paralyzing effects of losing their workforce. They say that unless the government implements workable reforms, the future of the U.S. as a food-producing nation is in jeopardy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would
cost a pretty penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% certain.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate it

Here is my homepage :: 3 1 credit reports